Search This Blog

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Annie and The Underworld VII



Those eyes could dance, I tell you. They could dance and even smile,with a twinkle added. Shades of light could work magic with those eyes – they were by far the most brilliant eyes I had ever seen and would later realise I ‘d ever see, ever. We were at the church, I was on my congos holding them between my legs and engrossed with the choir, we were rehearsing it was a native song sung in our native tongue, the emptiness of the parish made the music seem hollow and loud but we were oblivious to all that the choir was howling out the song, craning their necks, eyes cringed and shut, arms bent , fists clenched with a sense of concentration, they were moving their lower body like a lazy pendulum, my head was bent low and it was also nodding thither , hither while I also had my eyes shut I did keep opening them once a while just to observe the rhythmic balance and it was during one of those sessions that I noticed Annie walking into the aisle, quiet, calm and composed.

She looked at me and then beyond her sight seemed travelling almost through me as she evaluated the choir, the light from the glass panes of the tall coney church tower came in like shafts, the images of gods and angels had doves and bats for company, the Choir master was clapping and was completely entranced, I smiled at her and waved, she refused to acknowledge, she was trying her best to remain solemn and that made me smile even wider as I shook my head and continued banging my congos in a rhythm that bordered on a sense of youthful fun.

She stepped aside and hurriedly kneeled onto the bench the sunlight gave her thin hair a brownish halo but yet I realised She had’t had her bath, at least She had’t washed her hair, so it had that typical dry, overnight look and I could smell them even from a distance, they still had a heady feel to them, despite their lack of freshness. Annie had made herself oblivious to all of what was going on around, I knew that She knew that I was happily watching her every move while continuing to play with the choir and not allowing anyone notice my object and subject of amusement. Annie was praying her arms folded and palms grasping each other and soft mumbles dropping out of her lips, Annie was a crazy, crazy bug, I tell you – I wanted to howl and laugh out so loud I thought even the gigantic Church spire would crash with the after effect such was the hilariousness of the scene being enacted. Annie squeezed open one eye and looked straight at me, satisfied herself that she continued to have my amused attention and then promptly went back to her prayers – did I see a smile ? did I ????

Jesus on the cross continued to bleed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment